Monday, June 16, 2008

First Drafts - getting started

Do you find it hard to get started when you have to write a proposal or a presentation - or a newsletter like this one. I know I do. I put it off and let it fester in my mind - and actually starting to put down words becomes the hardest part.

The best tip I have - the one that got me started this morning, is one that I took from Anne Lamotts wonderful book Bird by Bird: "All good writers write shitty first drafts. This is how they end up with good second drafts and terrific third drafts." The shitty first draft, she says, is "the child's draft where you let it pour out and let it romp all over the place knowing that no-one is going to see it and you can shape it later."

I commend the SFD to you as a brilliant way to get started when you have to write.

No comments: